Betty White celebrated her 98th birthday on Friday.
The beloved actress has been in show business for 75 years, with her first role in the 1945 short Time to Kill. White has been a staple of film and television throughout the decades, with roles in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls, The Proposal, and Toy Story 4.
- “Retirement is not in my vocabulary. They aren’t going to get rid of me that way.”
- “I don’t seem to require a lot of sleep. I just — if I get four, five good hours, I’m fine. But sleeping is sort of dull. There’s a lot of other good stuff that you can do without just lying down and closing your eyes.”
- “It’s your outlook on life that counts. If you take yourself lightly and don’t take yourself too seriously, pretty soon you can find the humor in our everyday lives. And sometimes it can be a lifesaver.”
- “I have a two-story house and a bad memory, so I’m up and down those stairs all the time. That’s my exercise.”
- “Don’t try to be young. Just open your mind. Stay interested in stuff. There are so many things I won’t live long enough to find out about, but I’m still curious about them. You know people who are already saying, ‘I’m going to be 30 — oh, what am I going to do?’ Well, use that decade! Use them all!”
- “I may be a senior, but so what? I’m still hot.”
- “I think I’ve played some really wonderful roles over the years. I don’t think about things I might have missed out on. I’m grateful for everything I’ve gotten to do.”
- “The audience today has heard every joke. They know every plot. They know where you’re going before you even start. That’s a tough audience to surprise, and a tough audience to write for. It’s much more competitive now, because the audience is so much more — I want to say ‘sophisticated.'”
- “I’m the luckiest broad on two feet, I’ll tell you that. They say once a woman passes 40 she doesn’t get any good parts, so I’m blessed.”
- “When I pontificate, it sounds so, you know, ‘Oh, well, she’s preaching.’ I’m not preaching, but I think maybe I learned it from my animal friends. Kindness and consideration of somebody besides yourself. I think that keeps you feeling young. I really do.”
Betty White Turns 98: Here Are 10 Quotes From the Legendary Actress | Culture