A lot happened during the decade now ending, the 2010s. Here are just a few of the biggest stories:
2010: Deepwater Horizon
In 2010 the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 workers and spewing oil into the Gulf for months.
- Blowout: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster (“60 Minutes,” 5/16/10)
- Oil leak may be 5 times worse than initial claim (4/29/10)
- Oil spill: What went wrong? (4/30/10)
- Gulf Oil spill, by the numbers (4/30/10)
- Gallery: Oil Spill: 100 Days, 100 Photos
- Four years after devastating BP oil spill, scientists search for life in the Gulf (“CBS This Morning,” 4/17/14)
- BP settles Deepwater Horizon oil spill claims (10/5/15)
2011: Bin Laden Dead
2011 saw the Navy SEALs raid that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
Osama bin Laden is dead (5/2/11)
To the bottom of the sea: Bin Laden’s last day (“CBS Evening News,” 5/2/11)
Obama on bin Laden: The full “60 Minutes” interview (“60 Minutes,” 5/15/11)
2012: Barack Obama Re-elected
Campaign 2012 ended with the re-election of President Barack Obama over Republican Mitt Romney.
- Obama wins re-election (11/6/12)
- Four more years for battle-hardened Obama (11/7/12)
- John Dickerson: How Obama won four more years (11/7/12)
- States petition to secede from union (11/14/12)
2013: Boston Marathon bombing
In 2013 a pair of bombs killed three people and injured more than 260 others at the Boston Marathon.
- Deadly bombs rock Boston marathon (4/15/13)
- Boston bombing witnesses: In their own words (4/15/13)
- Doctors describe horrors, chaos after Boston Marathon bombings (4/16/13)
- Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left note in boat he hid in, sources say (“CBS This Morning,” 5/16/13)
- Boston Marathon bomber sentenced to death (5/15/15)
- Facing death, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev breaks his silence (6/24/15)
- After losing her leg, a Boston Marathon runner regains her life (“CBS Evening News,” 4/20/15)
- Gallery: Boston Marathon bombing: Iconic images
2014: The spread of ISIS
2014 saw the militant Islamic group ISIS proclaim the creation of a caliphate in captured territory both in Iraq and Syria.
- Americans fight with Sunni insurgents in Iraq (6/24/14)
- ISIS declares creation of Mideast caliphate across Iraq and Syria (6/29/14)
- Why ISIS threatens the U.S. – and what we can do about it (6/28/14)
- “They’re delusional”: Rivals ridicule ISIS declaration of Islamic state (6/30/14)
- The Islamic State: On the ground in Iraq (“60 Minutes,” 9/21/14)
- ISIS losing hearts and minds in its heartland (10/3/14)
- The origins of ISIS: Finding the birthplace of jihad (“CBS Evening News,” 11/4/14)
2015: Same-Sex Marriage Legalized
In 2015, the Supreme Court granted same-sex couples the right to marry.
- Supreme Court: Marriage is a fundamental right for gay couples (6/27/15)
- Same-sex marriage: A matter of dignity (“Sunday Morning,” 6/28/15)
- Supreme Court same-sex marriage ruling could have global impact (6/27/15)
- Same-sex marriages in U.S. since Supreme Court ruling estimated to be 123,000 (6/22/16)
2016: Donald Trump Elected
2016 was the year Donald Trump defied the polls and predictions to win election as President of the United States.
- Russian “fingerprints” left behind on DNC hack (7/26/16)
- Donald Trump: “I have nothing to do with Russia” (“CBS This Morning,” 7/27/16)
- Despite denial, Trump’s connections to Russia go back years (“CBS This Morning,” 7/29/16)
- In a stunner, Donald Trump wins the presidency (11/9/16)
- World reaction to Donald Trump’s election win (11/9/16)
- CBS News Exit Polls: How Donald Trump won the U.S. presidency (11/9/16)
- Russians rejoice in Trump’s win, but America’s allies are anxious (“CBS This Morning,” 11/9/16)
- Post-Trump victory bullying, harassment reported in schools (11/13/16)
- Gallery: Rise in hate crimes following Trump’s election win
In 2017 allegations of sexual abuse against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein ignited the #MeToo movement.
- Harvey Weinstein scandal: Questions still unanswered (“CBS This Morning,” 10/9/17)
- The problem with Harvey Weinstein’s sex addiction claim (11/6/17)
- More than 12M “Me Too” Facebook posts, comments, reactions in 24 hours (10/17/17)
- Ronan Farrow on how the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke open (“Sunday Morning,” 11/26/17)
- Harvey Weinstein cover-up was racketeering, women claim in federal lawsuit (12/6/17)
- Time magazine’s Person of the Year is the “silence breakers” of the #MeToo movement (12/6/17)
- Jodie Foster on #MeToo: “Justice by Twitter is not the right way to go” (“CBS This Morning,” 12/11/17)
- NYT reporters on breaking Harvey Weinstein story, #MeToo “reckoning” (“CBS This Morning,” 12/19/17)
2018: Gun Violence
2018 saw the mass shooting at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida that killed 17, and led to the student March for Our Lives in Washington.
- Florida students hid in classrooms, closets in deadly school shooting (CBS News, 2/22/18)
- Gun ownership and gun violence in America, by the numbers (“Face the Nation,” 2/15/18)
- Fla. school shooting survivor David Hogg says: Speak out (“Sunday Morning,” 2/18/18)
- Suspect Nikolas Cruz in custody in Parkland school shooting in Florida (2/15/18)
- Faith Salie on threat of mass shootings: Do something (“Sunday Morning,” 2/8/18)
- Florida school shooting victims identified by authorities, remembered by friends, family (CBS News)
- The March for Our Lives: Taking their message to the streets (“Sunday Morning,” 3/25/18)
- Emma González: “Fight for your lives before it’s someone else’s job” (Video)
- How the White House responded to the March for Our Lives rallies (3/24/18)
- Fox News host apologizes for mocking Florida school shooting survivor as uproar grows (3/29/18)
- “39 Days”: How Parkland shooting survivors turned grief into action (4/5/18)
2019: Dark Skies for Boeing and President Trump
As for 2019, the FAA grounded the Boeing 737 MAX passenger jet …
- U.S., Canada join list of nations banning Boeing 737 Max jets (3/13/19)
- NTSB urges Boeing to redesign engine part on thousands of jets after deadly midair explosion (11/19/19)
- FAA analysis flagged 737 Max risks before fatal crash (12/11/19)
- Americans who know of Boeing’s 737 Max don’t want to fly on plane (12/13/19)
- Boeing tries to restore confidence in 737 Max in stakeholders’ presentation (12/8/19)
- Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg dismissed as 737 Max woes continue (12/23/19)
… while the resolution of the impeachment drive against President Trump awaits the New Year.
- Schiff says impeachment inquiry is “not about Ukraine,” but about protecting U.S. democracy (12/3/19)
- House Democrats release 300-page impeachment report accusing Trump of abusing power (12/3/19)
- Point-Counterpoint: Two views on impeaching the president (“Sunday Morning,” 12/15/19)
- House impeaches Trump for abuse of power and obstruction in historic rebuke (12/19/19)
- The House impeached Trump. What happens next? (12/19/19)
- Lawmakers clash over next steps on Trump impeachment (12/19/19)
Story produced by Robert Marston.
© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.